In January, I …
1. Went trail running every weekend. Technically one of those runs was barely a trail (more like a really flat dirt road) but I’m going to count it! I also did a few shorter trail runs on weekdays and my usual road running. This month’s distance totaled over 150 km, which is the most I’ve ran in a month since last April!
2. Helped a friend run 5k, 10k, 21.1k, and 42.2k on consecutive days. I’m taking a little too much credit here. All I did was accompany him for the last half of the 42.2k run and I was probably more of a hindrance since I kept stopping to take pictures of the eagles (SO MANY EAGLES).
3. Celebrated Hadley’s 5th birthday! Oh my gosh … my little puppy is five years old! I still regularly get asked if she’s a puppy due to her somewhat petite/lean size for a lab and silly/excitable nature. People obviously don’t notice her grey chin and two grey whiskers.
In February, I will …
1. Delve deeper into the world of financial planning. I know, this is a really exciting one. I’ve done some reading on this topic lately (the Wealthy Barber Returns and various articles) and I’ve had budgets and automatic transfers into my savings account set up for a while now. But that’s about it. I’d like to build out a more specific plan for my financial future.
2. Improve my hill climbs! I’ve noticed that I really struggle on the ascents (and descents to a slightly lesser extent). The rest of our group will be patiently waiting at the top as I slowly come huffing and puffing up. There aren’t many hills around my usual running routes and certainly nothing that compares to running up a mountain. Since I’ve registered for both Seek the Peak and Squamish 50k, I better find a way to get more hill training in!
3. Drink more water. Last month I tried to drink a smoothie for breakfast most days, which I find is a great way to start a morning. I plan to continue that this month plus focus on drinking more water. I’ve never been much of a water-drinker and sort of have to force myself to do it. I do, however, drink a lot of coffee which, depending on who you ask, counts as hydration.