Processing …

[Friday, July 28]

Thursday had been an emotional day but I woke up more positive in the morning. Thanks to the Gravol, I was well rested (or at least decently rested) and my abdominal pain was down a few notches too. I felt more capable to handle the uncertainty.

Jesse dropped me off at my parents’ house again on the way to his last day of work before going back to school for 2.5 months.

Obviously this didn’t turn out to be the best time for him to be off work but he had registered for the final year of his electrical apprenticeship schooling quite a while ago. We were hoping that he would finish up before or around the time baby came and I started maternity leave.

But life never goes as planned!

A nurse called in the morning to check in with me. She asked if I had heard back about any appointments and I said no. I had been under the impression that they would be set up really quickly. She let me know that it’s normal for it to take a week or two to get in and it’s a good sign that they aren’t rushing me in.

She did, however, suggest calling the obstetrician’s office that afternoon if I hadn’t been given an appointment yet. I later phoned them and they managed to squeeze me in August 15. I’m hoping that means there’s a good chance I’ll still be pregnant then!

I also had a great conversation on the phone with one of my midwife’s who has had two preterm babies. Besides the nurse, I hadn’t had an appointment or met with my midwives since the news. I told her I felt totally unprepared.

She gave me a rundown of how preterm labour would go, basically that there’d be more staff in the room and the baby would be taken away quickly to the NICU and could be there for a while, up to (or longer than) the due date even depending on their health. She said the facilities at my hospital are great and that there are private rooms for each baby.

She also reiterated that even if baby comes early, there’s not much that we need to have ready (great, because we have nothing!). And that we will have time to get everything in order. The only thing I may want to get soon is a breast pump and a blanket or something small to make the NICU room feel homey. The baby would not need clothes or blankets right away though.

I spent some time that evening picking out a little teddy bear and a blanket online for Jesse to pick up on the weekend. It gave me something to focus on and made me feel a little bit more prepared.

After posting about what was happening on Facebook yesterday, a friend had sent me a link to her blog about her daughter who was born at 28 weeks. I had started reading this and it helped give me a really good picture of what having a baby in the NICU is like.

It also inspired me to blog about my experiences, not only to keep friends and family updated but also in case it can help someone going through a similar situation in the future.

On that note, time for some real talk. I don’t know how my situation will turn out. On one hand I’m being prepared for if the baby comes early, on another hand I’m being told this is all a precaution. Sometimes I feel like I’m being over-dramatic fearing that labour is imminent. Why am I even crying? Nothing has actually happened yet. And I’ve heard lots of stories of women who show early warning signs of labour and go on to carry to full term or close to it.

As I continue to process my situation and catch up on my sleep deficit, I feel more positive and able to handle the uncertainty. Even best case scenario, I’m on bed rest for many weeks longer which is its own challenge, but a sacrifice I’m only too happy to make.



  1. SMH NICU is a great place. I must say we left the place with great memories. My 2nd son was born (29 weeks) SMH and transferred to NICU. He was there for about 5 weeks until he gains weight then transferred another section which is essentially out of the glass box. Initially, it is all confusing, but later we gain strength and clarity to deal with the situation. Do you see Dr. Lalji and Dr. Keith Still for prenatal care? They were the best in my opinion. After 6 years later we take my son to Dr. Ramesh who was our pediatrician. Good luck with rest of the journey.

    1. Thanks Chaminda! I always like hearing positive experiences of others. I haven’t seen either of those doctors, yet at least. I have an appointment with Maternal Fetal Medicine at RCH today and then an appointment with Dr. Coll at SMH in a couple weeks.

Leave a Reply